Friday, September 13, 2013

25th July 2013 -- Jayden's delivery

As I begin to swing into the daily momentum of caring and managing Jayden, I really thank God daily for His love and grace towards me by blessing me with the greatest gift of all -- Jayden.

Before his next feed comes (which he feeds every 2 hours, 120ml per feed), let me ambitiously try to recall and jot down the entire delivery journey of this little hungry angel.

I was 40 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Dr Huang decided that i should be admitted to the hospital (Prince of Wales Private, Randwick) to be induced.

Prior to this, i had several false alarms with some contractions but it always goes away the moment i sleep and awake in the morning, back to square one.

I checked myself in to the hospital on the 24th July 2013 at 8pm. The midwife induced me at approx 10pm. She said the second dosage of the gel would most likely be the next morning. So i was told to get some sleep.

At around 12 midnight or so, i was awaken by the first sharp contraction. As this was my first pregnancy, i continued to lie in bed, trying to calm and be sure that it was real contractions. Finally, at around 12:30am, i told Keeliang that i could no longer contain the pain. The midwife was alerted and she gave me some panadol. She checked the monitor and said that the contractions are still far apart. I was told to sleep again.

I guess sometime around 2am? The contractions were way stronger and frequent. Midnurse checked and i was about 3cm dilated. She proceeded to contact Dr Huang and he gave the green light to have my amniotic waters burst. She shifted me to the delivery suite and gave my waters a prickle.
the delivery suite -- seriously, which mother would be in a state to watch television?!
the monitor for jayden's heart rate and my contractions
Jayden heartrate at 131 and my contraction at 20 then 
me and the gas mask
a bloated version of me
I started to feel some light warm water trickle. With each strong contraction, more waters flowed out.
It was a weird sensation. It's the only time i would be licensed to pee big time on bed!

By this time, i was fighting to keep my eye lids opened. it seemed as though there were weights hanging them down. i was given the gas mask for nitrous oxide. The first time i inhaled to manage the contractions, i felt as though i was about to black out. but it certainly helped to manage my contraction pains. I peeped at the monitor, 20...40....60...80...100... up and up the contractions indicator.

till a point i threw my hands up and barely mouthed EPi... EPIDURAL.... When the epi shot was finally administered, was i relived! for i started to see the contractions indicator go up to 120...140...150... Thank God I had the epi early.

Midwife checked me again. 4 cm dilated. It was about 4am i think. SHe then began to give me cold apple juice and toast. She had concerns that the fetal heartrate was healthy and good, but baby was not really moving as much as he should. With the cold juice and food, Jayden moved a little for like 5 mins and then stopped again.

Midwife said either Jayden was asleep or it could also be a sign of distress for the baby with the umbilical cord. After much attempts to "move" Jayden, it came to a general consensus with Dr Huang that we should proceed to a C-sect.

At that time, though i was mentally and emotionally unprepared for a c-sect, it did not matter to me. the fear and pain were suppressed by my only constant thought -- just bring it on. do whatever you need so long as Jayden can be safely delivered.

at 7:30am i was pushed to the operating theatre. I felt a sense of comfort when i saw a familiar face -- Dr Huang in his operating suit and gear. He confidently said that all will be fine and that it will be over soon. I was super drowsy by then but kept on praying in tongues under my breath for Jayden's safety.

Jenny tested me with the coldness of an ice-cube and asked if i could feel the coldness on my tummy. I fought hard against my drowsiness and thought really hard and carefully before replying No. I had to check, double check and triple check. (not wanting to end up in pain on the operating table!)

I kept my eyes on Keeliang during the Op. i didnt even know they had begun until Dr Huang said "PUSH." I was shocked. I tried to Push. Push. Push. NO feeling as the epi was in force.

Then i felt hands pushing my stomach downwards. I realized Dr Huang was telling his assistant to push. Not me. Silly me. But the pushing was no joke. It was some strong pulling and tugging and i could feel my heart racing.

Finally, for what seemed like forever, Dr Huang asked Keeliang if he is ready. Then, they drew the curtains down and Keeliang saw Dr Huang carry Jayden out of my epidermis layers. Keeliang said he could see blood spurting and a very angry looking baby. It was evident Jayden is very comfy in my womb and does not want to meet the world yet. Jayden was born! at 812 am!

Jayden cried very loudly the moment he was pulled out. That loud cry sent waves of relief, joy and gratitude to me. I knew that Jayden was safe.

Pushing...
Tugging...

Pulling...
Jayden awaken... cried the moment air filled his lungs...


Dr Campbell checking him. Me in the background anxiously awaiting for his thumbs up.
And that's all that had mattered. The rest was experienced vaguely. I could see myself being stitched up after my placenta was pulled out of me via the reflections of the theatre lights above me. I was too tired to be scared. As i held Jayden skin to skin, i finally understood why all mothers always say to me "Childbirth is so painful but the moment your baby is born, all the pain is worth it." Very true indeed.

Jayden, born 51cm and 3.542 kg

Personally, i did not expect him to be this big. Both Keeliang and myself are 2.8kg range babies. I'm glad thing went the way it did. Although i was very afraid at the thought of cutting through 7 layers of skin during a c-section, i actually think it was probably better than a normal delivery. 12 minutes was all it took and a 3.542kg baby, i'm glad it was a c-section after all.

Born 25th July 2013, 0812 hours, 51cm, 3.542kg 


in mummy's arms
My little angel...


No comments: